Wednesday 17 July 2013

What I Wore Wednesday: Watermelon Mojitos

The weather this week has been amazing! We've had a week long heatwave with loads of sunshine and temperatures in the high 70's. It's put me in a such a happy and sunny mood and I totally I jumped at the chance when Collective Bias™ invited us to create some Bacardi cocktails! Maybe it's just me but summer and cocktails go hand in hand!


Bacardi Bottles

I wasn't quite sure what cocktails I wanted to make at first but after grabbing some Bacardi I spied some limes. I know that Bacardi rum and lime go really well so the first thing I snapped up was a big bag of limes. NotBlondeHusband also loves lime so I knew I was headed in the right direction.


Bags of Limes

Next I went for some fresh fruit, coconut milk and some whipped cream. In my head I was mentally checking off my favourite rum cocktails Piña Coladas and Daquiris! Growing up we always got virgin daiquiris with whipped cream on top as a special treat when we went out to dinner growing up and I still love them now. My absolute favourite is a half/half Piña Colada and Strawberry Daquiri I had on our honeymoon called a Miami Vice. I have no idea what Tubbs and Crockett has to do with it but it's AMAZING!

I went back for some ice and mint so NotBlondeHusband could have the option on a mojito and we were good to go! After getting home and going through all my options I decided to through all caution to the wind and try something I didn't even think of and had never tried before: Watermelon Mojito Popsicles!

I'd seen boozy popsicles popping up on Pinterest but I've never actually made or had one before. I love frozen cocktails so it seemed like something I'd really like and perfect for a hot day. I found a few different recipes online and then created my own version!

Watermelon Mojito Popsicles



400g (2 1/2 cups) cubed watermelon
4 limes (juiced)
5 TBSP simple mint syrup (recipe to follow)
140ml (5 oz) Bacardi rum

Blend the watermelon in a food processor or blender and then push through a fine mesh sieve to get rid of any seeds and chunky bits.


Watermelon Purée


Shake the watermelon juice with the fresh lime juice, rum and simple mint syrup in a cocktail shaker. 


Watermelon Mojito Popsicles

Pour into popsicle molds and freeze overnight!

Simple Mint Syrup
1/2 cup sugar
1/2 water
25g fresh mint

Pour the water and sugar into a pan and heat until the sugar has dissolved. Usually this will be just before the water starts to simmer.

Take the mixture off the heat and stick into a large pan of cold water until it reaches room temperature.


Muddled Mint

Add the mint leaves and muddle (bash it a bit) and leave for 20 minutes.

Strain off the mint leaves and pour into an air-tight container to store in your fridge.


Watermelon Mojito Popsicles

Yum! Perfect after a long hot day. So I know you're thinking umm well that's all great and tasty but isn't this What I Wore Wednesday? Well I only went and gave myself a Watermelon Mojito Manicure, too! I feel like Lisa Turtle at the Murder Mystery Mansion; remember she matched her dress to her drink?(sorry for those who aren't into Saved by the Bell)


Watermelon Mojito Manicure


Do you have a signature cocktail/mocktail? Do food or drink ever inspire your outfits?







Let's be friends! Find me here:

74 comments:

Melaina25 said...

Watermelon mojito popsicles. YUM. No signature cocktail, but I have been known to enjoy a rum drink now and then.

Melaina25 said...

This sounds delicious! I don't have signature cocktail. I mainly drink wine and sometimes I'll have an Amaretto Sour. :-)

Melaina25 said...

That sounds fantastic. I will totally be giving this a try!!
xo
Kym
bitty.and.bunny
bareMinerals giveaway!

Melaina25 said...

Ummmm...YES! I need to make theses. Pinning so I don't forget :)

Melaina25 said...

LOVE your nails! The colors are so fun and perfect for summer!

Melaina25 said...

These look so delicious!!! Who doesn't love a mojito, let alone a popsicle version! Thank you for sharing the recipe and hosting this link up!


Lauren xx
www.stylelixir.com

Melaina25 said...

Thanks so much for hosting!

Melaina25 said...

yum! those popsicles look delish. and I love the nails!

http://spinning-threads.blogspot.com

Melaina25 said...

Yum! And perfect for these hot summer days!! I need to try these asap!

Melaina25 said...

Popsicle sounds so good for a hot summer day! Perfect for a day of backyard BBQ or pool side party!


Alice
www.happinessatmidlfie.com

Melaina25 said...

I definitely must try.
Thank you for another week.
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

Melaina25 said...

Such a fun bright mani! :)

Away From Blue

Melaina25 said...

Ohh love the sounds of these cocktails - we also did the cbias cocktail shop (post up later today) was a of fun and perfect for cooling down on a lovely summers day :)


Laura x

Melaina25 said...

Those mojitos look dreamy-we ate so much watermelon away too. Will be making these!

Melaina25 said...

Those look delish x

Melaina25 said...

Oh those look delicious! and love your nails :)

Melaina25 said...

This hot weather makes me want to drink ice cold rose every night! Too lazy to make cocktails but my favourite is watermelon martini. Maybe I should get my act together and make those popsicles. They look delicious. And what a fab idea to match your nails:) x

Melaina25 said...

Those strawberry mojito popsicle sounds sooo good!

Melaina25 said...

Haha I love that you're hosting a fashion link-up with a cocktail recipe :) This sounds super good, might have to indulge in one post-baby ;)

Melaina25 said...

I love your cocktail inspired nails!


http://havebreakfastwithtiffany.blogspot.com/

Melaina25 said...

It's over 90 degrees here and I've been dying to try a popsicle recipe. This one looks delish!!
xoxo,
Nikki at www.bedazzlesafterdark.com

Melaina25 said...

Love the Lisa Turtle reference and love the nails!

Melaina25 said...

I do not but my husband makes an amazing Sangria. He would love your mojito.

Melaina25 said...

I've always been curious about the different kinds of drink but I'm just not brave enough to try them. Especially when I had to buy them. Ending up not liking it and it will go to waste is not the most practical thing for me. But if someone would drink it for me if I didn't like a drink then that's fine.. :) That's a really cute nail color!

Melaina25 said...

Watermelon mojitos (and popsicles!) sound sooo refreshing! I love the manicure; it's so cute and fun and summer-y!

Melaina25 said...

Such an easy treat ;) I would love to invite you to share at my party - http://www.lovebakesgoodcakes.com/2013/07/all-my-bloggy-friends-55.html

Melaina25 said...

I want one of those lollies! Love your nails x

Melaina25 said...

I love cocktails! My signature is a Turkish Delight Cosmopolitan - hmmmmm!

Melaina25 said...

I've been experimenting with boozy Popsicles recently too. I made one recently with pineapple, raspberries and vodka. Yum!

Melaina25 said...

I feel cooler already!

http://themakingofthemuse.blogspot.com/

Melaina25 said...

Those popsicles look SOOOO good!! =)
~Callie
www.creationbsbycallie.com

Melaina25 said...

These look AMAZING! Reading all these cocktail posts has been so dangerous though - I just had to open a beer to go with my lunch!! (It's OK though because the weather is hot right?)

Melaina25 said...

Those popsicles sound delish. And I am a fan of matching your nails to your drink... and, obviously, of Saved by the Bell. Love this post!

Melaina25 said...

I'm in a lime-obsessive mode at the moment, so these sound great :)

Melaina25 said...

I've never tried frozen cocktail popsicles before, either - sounds like a fun idea!

Melaina25 said...

Oh grown-up ice lollies, they look amaaaazing! What a clever idea. Just be careful that BB doesn't get to them and starts singing funny songs ;)

Melaina25 said...

Luckily he doesn't like popsicles :)

Melaina25 said...

It's been so hot so it seemed like a great time to take a chance :)

Melaina25 said...

I totally amped up the lime for the recipe!

Melaina25 said...

I'm so glad the SBTB reference didn't go over your head :)

Melaina25 said...

Totally acceptable in this weather :)

Melaina25 said...

They turned out really well!

Melaina25 said...

Oooh those sound super good! I think I need to buy more popsicle molds.

Melaina25 said...

WHAT?!?!?!? I need that recipe!

Melaina25 said...

They were pretty tasty!

Melaina25 said...

Thanks!

Melaina25 said...

The mani wound up being a bit to OTT for me but the mojtos were so good!

Melaina25 said...

Just get stuff to try and make them at home?

Melaina25 said...

We made amazing white peach Sangria in Spain--yum!

Melaina25 said...

I'm so glad people got the Lisa Turtle reference :)

Melaina25 said...

You'd welcome our 75F heatwave then lol.

Melaina25 said...

Thanks!

Melaina25 said...

It would probably be just as good without the rum!

Melaina25 said...

Watermelon but I bet strawberry would be super good too!

Melaina25 said...

I think that's why I liked the popsicles--I could make them all in a batch and just grab one when I got home :)

Melaina25 said...

Come over and grab one :)

Melaina25 said...

Watermelon is great for your skin, too so it's a win win ;)

Melaina25 said...

Ooh I will keep an eye out for your post!

Melaina25 said...

It was a bit OTT for me so I only kept it a few days.

Melaina25 said...

Would be great with Spanish limes and watermelon!

Melaina25 said...

Definitely!

Melaina25 said...

I like the idea that I don't have to mix up cocktail I can just grab and enjoy :)

Melaina25 said...

Thanks Claire!

Melaina25 said...

I love fruit mojitos :)

Melaina25 said...

Wound up being a bit OTT for me but I still love a statement nail :)

Melaina25 said...

They were pretty easy--hardest part was waiting for them to freeze!

Melaina25 said...

I'm totally a cocktail kind of girl. Does that mean I'm high maintenance?

Melaina25 said...

Rum based cocktails are my jam!

Melaina25 said...

Mmmm - those watermelon mojito popsicles sound absolutely delicious!! I've pinned the recipe and can't wait to try it with my new popsicle molds!! Thanks for sharing!

Melaina25 said...

Not at all. :-)

Melaina25 said...

I honestly have no idea how I ended up saying strawberry! I knew they were watermelon and that's the part I loved so much about them! So sorry about that!

Melaina25 said...

Looks delishoius!

Melaina25 said...

Yes please to the popsicle!


www.sweetcandydreamer.com

Melaina25 said...

These look great! A perfect summer treat. Thanks for sharing it over on Tell Me Tuesday! You are featured this week! Take care!