Monday 1 February 2010

Ask and you shall receive...

Thanks to everyone who posted question in my delurking post; hopefully you're happy with my answers!

SaveThePolarBears! asked...
What's the best thing about living in another country?


Right now it has to be the fact that I am taking a year off in maternity leave and have no bills I have to pay off from Blondie Boy's birth.


What do you miss the most about your original home?


Friends and family, but after that Cincinnati food. Cincinnati has a lot of distinct food that you can only get in southwest Ohio like Skyline, Izzy's, Frisch's, LaRosa's, Montgomery Inn, UDF, Graeter's, etc.



How did you cope with the anxiety of waiting to go into labor?


Honestly I wasn't that anxious. I'm someone who doesn't get excited about vacations until I'm actually at the airport.

Jennifer asked...
will you be raising Blondie Boy as Jewish/ Catholic/ Agnostic?

Blondie Boy won't be raised any religion, but we will raise him with Jewish cultural traditions. For me being Jewish doesn't have to have anything to do with religion.

Will the wee dude have a bris?

No.

Will you raise him as Scottish - American?

He will be Scottish and American in both citizenship and culture.

Do you think you will stay in the UK now that we have a wean?

Our living in the UK is always dependant on jobs; if either of us were ever offered jobs in the US it would be something we'd both be open to, but right now we are happy here.

Will you find it strange that he will have an accent?

Probably, but I've been told I have an affected accent, so I can't judge!

Alie asked...
are you telling your son on a regular basis what a wonderful and amazing person his Aunt Alie is???????

He's been enjoying reading about a curious little monkey courtesy of his Aunt Alie.

MrsC asked...
What was your fav part about being pregnant?

When Blondie Boy would kick NotBlondeHusband in the head.

and ur least fav?

SPD and crutches.


What's you fav thing about being a mommy so far?

Eskimo kisses and the look of amazement that results.

Voyage asked...
Where did you get that awesome bagpipe with menorah picture from?

This e-card my Mom sent me a few years back:



What is it like being a Jew in Scotland?

I found Hanukkah cards for the first time in 5 years at John Lewis this year which was nice! My biggest problem is people who refuse to wish people "Happy Holidays" and insist that if they did it would be undermining British culture. Umm, no it's called being inclusive. Otherwise I'm not the best person to ask because I don't attend services or practice religiously.

Lorry asked...
If you were a tree, what kind would you be?


A Joshua Tree. Actually I have no idea, I just say that because of the ridiculous comment John Mayer made in Rolling Stone.


Where do you see yourself in five years?


I don't know! I'm really horrible at visualizing the future.


If a train were heading to Cleveland at 40 mph…


I'd feel really bad for the passengers going to the mistake on the lake.

Janine asked...
Is Motherhood what you expected it to be?

Again, I'm crap at visualizing things and had no expectations. Right now he pretty much eats, poops/pees, sleeps and repeats so not much there!

Laura McIntyre asked...
how are you handling all the recent changes?


I'm lucky that my husband works from home so he is here to help. Things are different, but it's a totally new routine rather than trying to adjust an old one if that makes any sense.


Is it what you thought it would be?


See above...


Noodles asked...
Curious how you thought the experience went in the U.K., versus in the U.S.?


I've never given birth in the US, but I'm going to say the biggest difference was probably that I was on a ward after my section (before I had the private room) and that I've come away with no bills to pay. Also the midwife came to our house for 10 days after Blondie Boy was born to check on him and myself. She actually came longer than that because his belly-button was stubborn in making it's appearance. I'm pretty sure you don't get home visits as standard in the US. Also all my prescriptions (pain meds, whatever) are still free until Blondie Boy turns one.


Confusha asked...
Just wondering, is this hospital Public or Private?


Public. You'd have to pay to give birth in a private hospital.


Petite_cou asked...

What accent do you think he will have when he is older?


I guess a lot will depend on where he goes to school, but I imagine he will have a bit of a transatlantic twang.


What accent would you love to hear?

I'm happy for him to have a Scottish or American accent.

4 comments:

andrea said...

Graeters, yum :)

The aftercare through the NHS was amazing, I love that they came to us and we didn't have to go anywhere. The wards? Not so much. But we all survived!

sicklink said...

i hope he says "ya'll" regardless of which accent...

Melaina25 said...

I say "y'all" enough so it is a definite possibility :)

Between that, yiddish words & scottish words he'll sound super cute :)

Melaina25 said...

It is 100% true that one of the hardest things about moving away from Cincinnati is missing the food. I would pretty much kill for a LaRosa's pizza right now.