Wednesday 30 May 2012

What I Wore Wednesday: Guns N Roses Glasgow

This week's What I Wore Wednesday day is brought to you by the power of Social Media. I had just finished putting on after-sun after getting my first sunburn of the year and was settling in for a night alone on the couch when I saw that Julie, who I used to work with at a bar over 6 years ago, had a spare Guns N Roses ticket for the Glasgow show. Seriously I don't think I've ever loved Facebook more than this moment. I got to go see one of my favourite bands of all time because of a very generous friend and it was AWESOME.
Julie and I: I may be just a little excited
I fully expected to go and be really sad I never got to see Guns N Roses back in the day but holy crap Axl Rose has still got it. He sang, screeched, swayed and shimmied just like in all the videos I loved so much that I dressed up like him and stuck a hairbrush in a broomstick to make a microphone and recreate his moves (luckily for me I have no idea where these photos now are).
guns n roses glasgow 2012
Axl has still got it
November Rain was *the* song to dance to with the guy you liked at my Junior High dances not just because the song was AMAZING but because you got to dance with that guy for almost double the time of any other song. I can remember getting really pissed off when radio stations cut out the piano break and shortened the song-- how dare they? I'm shocked my cassingle didn't wear out from being overplayed on my boombox. 
 guns n roses november rain
Axl started playing "November Rain" on the piano & no shit I cried
They played for over three hours and the show didn't end until after 1:30am--Glasgow has a concert curfew so how they got around that I don't know. I really can't complain about anything about the show; yes Axl did sneak off stage quite a lot during guitar solos and such so maybe there is some truth to those oxygen tank rumours but he did not disappoint when he was on stage in the slightest. They played all of my favourite Use your Illusion I and II songs plus pretty much every single released since 1987. 
guns n roses glasgow 2012
Dark venue, plus break stage lights= crappy iPhone pics
I freaked out when they played "Patience" during the encore which is my all time favourite Guns N Roses song. No one really knows the song but I adore it so much we had a string quartet version of it at our wedding. I'd post the video I took but umm yea you can hear me in the background and my vocal stylings weren't up to their normal standards after singing along for three hours!


I didn't take a picture before I left the house so I took this photo when I got home at 3am---it took ages to get a taxi--so I'm not my freshest but I was definitely still on a major high from the show! I can not express how grateful and appreciative I am that Julie let me have her extra Glasgow ticket.

 skull blazer concert festival


Cropped Blazer- HM
Multicoloured Skull Tank- HM
Skullie Bracelet-Amima
Fiji Friendship Bracelet-Monica Vinader
Black Hoops Earrings- Walmart
The Flirt Jeans-Old Navy
Blue Flip Flops- Old Navy

Ideally I would have worn heels but I know me and I knew I'd be jumping up and down and dancing and flip flops seemed way more practical. I ditched the blazer inside the venue because like most shows it was super hot (even more so since we were having a heat wave). So now I've actually worn the things I posted looking for advice on how to wear! Thanks to everyone who suggested pairing the skull tank with the blazer.

Is there any band from back in the day that are still touring and you are dying to see? Or did you finally see your favourite band recently? Did it live up to the hype or not?



52 comments:

Melaina25 said...

wow it looks fab on you!! really love it. Glad you had an amazing time. im well jealous i would love to have seen guns n roses(i have a slash crush, is that wierd? its just so sexy how he plays the guitar!!) I'd love to see Bon Jovi and lots of others. Still time i guess! :)

Melaina25 said...

Oh wow what an amazing night you lucky thing! So glad you got to wear the skull tank, it looks fab! Here's hoping that the heat wave is here to stay a little whole longer ;-)

Melaina25 said...

Heat Wave has totally left Glasgow. Was overcast yesterday and now it is chilly and rainy. I miss the sun already!

Melaina25 said...

Axl is the only original member left (Dizzy Read is still there but he joined in the 90s) so no Slash. The guitar player was amazing but he had a butter face situation going on if you know what I mean!

Melaina25 said...

Bummer!  i love slash lol! i bet it was still amazing. thanks for the comment on my blog, but i try and hold my arms in such a way to disguise the bingo wings. In real life they wave about regularly(unfortunately)! xo

Melaina25 said...

There is definitely something about Slash with his Jew Fro, Top Hat,  Open Shirt and cigarette hanging out of his mouth I will give you that (but I won't concede on the non-existent bingo wings)

Melaina25 said...

LOL! yeh maybe its the whole bad boy look?!And thank you about the BW's i need to get back on the old diet wagon ( i fell off again!) d'oh!

Melaina25 said...

Looks like you had an amazing night! and your outfit rocks! I would have been scared of losing my flip flops though, they always fall off me x

Melaina25 said...

I didn't know they were still touring! That is a perfect concert shirt!

Melaina25 said...

Yay for Facebook, and cute skull tank!  The flowers are a pretty spin on it!

Melaina25 said...

Oh, that is a perfect shirt for a Guns n' Roses concert. I think it looks great with the blazer.

Melaina25 said...

Glad you had fun at the concert. Thanks for hosting.

Melaina25 said...

How fun! And the tank...love it!
Ashley

Melaina25 said...

How fun (your outfit is perfect for a rock concert)!   I saw Bon Jovi and Def Leopard this past year but I have ALWAYS wanted to see Guns-n-Roses .... Welcome to the Jungle!!!!!

Melaina25 said...

LOVE that top so so much, and you look great as always (grr)

Melaina25 said...

I am so jealous, I would love to go see Guns and Roses!

Melaina25 said...

The skull top looks brilliant and no better outfit choice for a Guns n Roses Concert. Love the 3am photo, you still look amazing. x

Melaina25 said...

For some reason my comments are not showing up on Disqus...so frustrating! Anyway, I love the way you ended up styling the skull tank!

Melaina25 said...

Your top looks great,looks like you had a awesome time :)

Melaina25 said...

so glad you had fun @ guns n' roses!  and cute outfit too. hugs!
andee

Melaina25 said...

That skull tank is so cute!! I'm glad you had a fun time!

Melaina25 said...

love the skull shirt--I haven't seen that one at H&M.  I need it!

Melaina25 said...

Use Your Illusion I & II have some of *the* best GNR songs!  It's so so awesome that you got to hear them live!  And that outfit couldn't be better for a Guns N Roses concert.  Perfect.
xo
Kym
bitty.and.bunny

p.s. - I completely forgot to get a close up of the ankle tattoo for you.  I'm going to try real hard to remember for next time, promise!

Melaina25 said...

That is so cool that you got to go to a concert of your favorite band!! I'm so happy for you. I remember when I was younger, I used to go to lots of concerts, and I remember the screaming and excitement. None of my pics ever came out that great, either! If I could go see anyone now, it would probably be Prince if he reunited with The Time and the background singers. I don't know if there's a song that would make me cry. Probably, since I get overcome rather easily, LOL! But "When Doves Cry" is probably the song I'd most look forward to hearing.

Melaina25 said...

hey blondie, looking good. That top is amazing - seriously best find ever. I was never into GnR  but I know the feeling of remembering the good old days. I was a master at mix tapes!! I always wanted to see NKOTB in concert - I don't care what anyone says! badge on site and link to you :) 

Melaina25 said...

I love that top, it looks fab!  The concert sounds amazing as well.  I've always loved a band called My Life Story.  They aren't very well known at all, weren't really all that commercially successful but I have loved for years.  They re-formed to do a couple of special gigs a few years ago and getting to see them was just the best.  Seeing a band you love is just so exciting! x

Melaina25 said...

You're rocking that outfit! Glad you had a good time.  I'd love to see The Cure live at some point, they are still touring so maybe one day. 

Melaina25 said...

Nice top -- so appropriate and cute for the venue. :)

Melaina25 said...

Looks like such a fun concert! I love the look you put together for the occasion. The skull tank is so fun and I love it with the blazer!

Susan Mann said...

So pleased you had a great night out. Looks like fun x

Melaina25 said...

Axl is the only original member and after that there is Dizzy who joined in the 90's. Everyone else are newbies. Still totally kicked ass though :)

Melaina25 said...

Dude I don't post pictures of me as I am now on the couch with a dirty ponytail for a reason :)

Melaina25 said...

Aww thanks! I found out about the show at 8pm, left the house at 10pm and got home at 3am! Total whirlwind.

Melaina25 said...

Oooh you have to love Prince! I heard he won't sing a lot of his songs any more though since he has gotten super religious. 

Melaina25 said...

Did you ever tape over the top bits on a cassette to record over it or was that just my ghetto ass?

Melaina25 said...

That is great! Live music is so amazing right?

Melaina25 said...

I had no idea the Cure was still touring! My friend Lish went dressed as Robert Smith for Halloween one year and I went as "Robert Smith's girlfriend" also known as I didn't have a costume so I was a sorta slutty goth girl :)

Melaina25 said...

Thank you! Gotta love H&M!

Melaina25 said...

Amazing albums right? I really miss that theatrical style of rock-- I know some bands kinda do it but not with the amazing musicality that GNR did. Axl playing piano-- AMAZING.

I feel bad now b/c I commented on your post before replying here and totally mentioned the tattoo! I just love tattoos what can I say :)

Melaina25 said...

I don't see it on the website but I can totally get one for you and post it if you want? It was like £9.99

Melaina25 said...

Thanks! I forgot how AMAZING live music can be :)

Melaina25 said...

Thanks and I totally did!

Melaina25 said...

You should totally do it! Literally every single ever released was played!

Melaina25 said...

Thanks--to think I wouldn't have ever worn a blazer a few months ago!

Melaina25 said...

I'm a big fan of a feminine skull :)

Melaina25 said...

I am a flip-flop expert :)

Melaina25 said...

 Oh right! Well that wouldn't be much fun. Because there probably wouldn't be very many left, LOL! Ah, well...

Melaina25 said...

LOVE that tank! I NEED it!!

Melaina25 said...

WOW!!You are so lucky!! Your outfit was perfect. I can't believe the crowd didn't know Patience! Love, love  that song. As soon as I saw Patience in your post I automatically did the whistling part.

Melaina25 said...

Fab post - how late was he coming on?? ;P

Sal x

Melaina25 said...

My friend had heard he wasn't coming on until 11 or later at other shows so we met at the venue at 10:30 and the security guards told us "good timing girls they've just gone on!" We literally got there for the first song lol.

Melaina25 said...

Disqus has you down as "low rep" whatever that means so I have to approve your comments that is all :)