Wednesday 5 December 2012

What I Wore: Faux Leather Ponte Dress

I've pretty much been slumming it this week so no outfit photos. I did go on a tour of a dual language primary (elementary) school we'd like Blondie Boy to attend but my outfit wasn't exactly inspiring. BB's had a bit of a cold since then and then Sunday night it snowed so we haven't been going anywhere except a quick trip to the grocery to grab more bread. I've been drinking hot chocolate in sweats and studying.


Studying you say? Yes studying. Ugh. On Thursday I have to take the "Life in the UK" test as part of my application for Indefinite Leave to Remain. The questions on the test can be pretty random and it costs £50 to take the test so I can't risk failing so I've been taking lots of practice tests and reading the study book. If you're bored and want to see how you'd do this isn't an official site but you can take several practice tests yourself.

So if you'd like to think happy, test passing thoughts around 14:00GMT or 9:00EST on Thursday I'd be ever so grateful! I'm not bad at taking tests but the whole process leading up to tests really stresses me out. To be honest the whole application process is not the most relaxing thing in the world but once it is done hopefully it means I never, ever, EVER have to apply again. Since I've moved here I've had 2 student Visas, 1 Fresh Talent Visa, 1 Work Visa and am currently on a Spouse Visa. Please don't make me add up how much they all cost of I might cry. True love ain't cheap that's for sure.

So anyway this is called What I Wore Wednesday isn't it? So I bring you what I wore at my speaking engagement in London a few weeks ago. I flew directly from Cincinnati to London between the jet lag and preparing to speak I forgot to take an outfit photo; I've attempted to recreate it on Polyvore for y'all.


I drove NBH a little nuts looking for a dress for my presentation. We went to Kenwood Towne Center (it's the mall I grew up with) and when we walked in he asked if we wanted to go to The Limited and I said no. Long story short we went to several stores, held a dress in Ann Taylor and when we came back that night after deciding the Ann Taylor dress was a no go I went to The Limited and found this dress.

It was a major steal because not only was it on sale but the seam was coming the tiniest bit apart so I got an additional 10% off AND I had a free $10 gift card to the mall for signing in on Foursquare and spending $75 the day before--WINNER!

I wore it with my New Look ankle boots and a manicure I barely remember getting in my post jetlag haze but I managed to look at the bottle to see it was called "Get in the Espresso Lane." I talk with my hands so a manicure was necessary.

I love the faux leather patches and best of all the dress has pockets! I think it's last season now but I don't care I love the featured zipper back, too. I can't wait to wear it again and I'm thinking I might try it with coloured tights and the Darcie Docs Siân and Claire got me for my birthday. What do you think? How would you style this dress?


40 comments:

Melaina25 said...

Love love LOVE the detail on that dress it's just gorgeous! Good luck with the test. I had a look for myself when I saw you talking about it on Twitter the other day and I failed miserably so I'm not sure what that says about me?!

Melaina25 said...

I think it just says that the questions are totally random and weird! Also did I mention that it isn't about life in the UK now, it is from 2007! So some of the answers are factually inaccurate but you have to know what it was like 5 years ago!

Melaina25 said...

Must be fun to have a speaking engagement in London!

VIsit me:
LeeAnne, Style N Season
http://stylenseason.blogspot.com

Melaina25 said...

Good luck with the test! Tests get harder with age I find, easier to study when you're in that zone.


Good find on the dress as well.

Melaina25 said...

Ooo I love that OPI nail polish! Good luck with the test!!brenna

Melaina25 said...

I often (very often)use polyvore to help me come up with outfits to wear later in the week. That dress is super cute! I'm sure it looked adorable on you.

Good luck with your test!

Melaina25 said...

It hasn't snowed here much in Minneapolis yet - which is unusual for us!

Melaina25 said...

Sometimes simple is best! I say wear it as is!
Ashley

Melaina25 said...

Snow! I'm so jealous! Good luck on the exam! I remember all of their exams seem to be so expensive!

Great dress too, I'll bet you looked fabulous!

Melaina25 said...

I love polyvore! It looks like a great look to recreate!
Ginny
mynewfavoriteoutfit.blogspot.com

Melaina25 said...

Bummer you weren't able to get a picture of you in it! It's a great dress, and I think colored tights would work wonderfully with it.


Good luck on your test!

Melaina25 said...

Thanks so much for hosting this link up! :)

Melaina25 said...

I LOVE a dress with pockets. Have you thought about pairing that dress with colored tights or some bright heels? My Scot will be applying for US citizenship relatively soon and I have no idea what that entails. I am a bit frightened for the money and time that might have to go into it...ugh.

Tara
Penniless Socialite

Melaina25 said...

I hate it when my husband's right! :)

Melaina25 said...

Good good luck on your test! My Swiss boyfriend is living w/ me here in the US, and if it wasn't for his company sponsoring his visa, I don't know how we'd afford it. But then again, in order to stay in the country he has to stay with his company, and that's a whole other problem in itself. But you're totally right; true love sure ain't cheap (especially if you're from different continents).

xo
Kym
bitty.and.bunny

Melaina25 said...

well look at that snow!! i'd love me some of that down here in wales :) and GOOD LUCK for the test, you'll be fine i just know it ;)xxx

Melaina25 said...

Colored tights would definitely look good with that dress or a colored boot.

Melaina25 said...

Good luck on your test! ;)

Love that dress and those booties - just add some burgundy or teal tights and you have another fabulous outfit!

Melaina25 said...

Best of luck on your test, Melaina! I'll be praying for sure. Love the dress and that you paired it with black booties. Too cute!!! ~Sarah

Melaina25 said...

I like the dress with the booties. Kenwood is a great mall to shop at!

Melaina25 said...

Love the leather trim detail on the dress!!! I linked to my green and gold holiday inspired style.

Melaina25 said...

Looks good. Glad all went well x

Melaina25 said...

I'm down there fairly often for work; it's only an hour flight so not that exciting if you think of it like having a speaking engagement in Chicago if you live in Cincinnati :)

Melaina25 said...

It is the perfect combo of brown and grey!

Melaina25 said...

It is good when I've been lazy and forgotten pictures :)

Melaina25 said...

Crazy! Everything is a giant ice rink now :-/

Melaina25 said...

It was £50 ($75) just for the test alone!

Melaina25 said...

It is great fun isn't it?

Melaina25 said...

I just need an occasion to wear it :)

Melaina25 said...

You're welcome :)

Melaina25 said...

I think coloured tights is my next route. I know my friend paid £1500 all in for her UK husband's US greencard stuff but they were in the UK when he applied so that included travel and accommodation in London for interviews.

Melaina25 said...

Before my spouse visa I had a work visa (and several others) but I chose work over spouse after we got married because my company paid for part of it. VISA costs are ridiculous. Don't forget flights back to whichever half is an expat and true love is mad expensive!

Melaina25 said...

It's all an ice rink now! Thanks x

Melaina25 said...

I only have black boots with the exception of my flowered Docs but might try them!

Melaina25 said...

I bought teal/turquoise ones at Target when I was in Ohio!

Melaina25 said...

It's crazy how much it's changed over the years!

Melaina25 said...

The faux leather is what snagged me too!

Melaina25 said...

Thanks Sus x

Melaina25 said...

Thanks! I studied my butt off!

Melaina25 said...

Awesome dress!! I love anything with leather right now!
mzsavvystyle30605@yahoo.com