Monday 18 April 2011

Mixtape Monday

It's one of my best friends Deb's 30th Birthday in two weeks time and they've asked for song suggestions to play on the night that represent her past 30 years.  Deb is also American and  I feel like it's my duty as a fellow American to suggest the type of songs we would have danced to back in the day.


It is probably fair to say I went out dancing at least once a week my freshman year of college and I loved it!  Going clubbing wasn't something you did in Ohio if you were in high school so the world of DC clubs was something totally different to me. Sure back home you danced at Homecoming and Prom, but this was completely different.
Judith and I at GWU (not clubbing, but goofing)
I can remember basically just copying whatever my friend Judith did at first.  Judith's Belgian so it's safe to say most of my dance moves had a Eurotrash flair.  I always wanted to be Eurotrash so it worked for me.  If you're a girl you need to choose to lead with your butt or with your boobs; obviously I lead with my boobs. Somehow I managed to pull it all together and when I went back home to Ohio over the summer and went to Bourbon Street (a bar in a mall, I kid you not) with my friend Dana I got told I was "an awesome dancer." 


These are some of the songs that I remember getting my swerve on to back in the day.   I'm actually really excited about it as I love dancing and I think the last time I did was most likely at our wedding!  So what songs are your favourite all time, 100% will get you on the dance floor songs?

6 comments:

Sarah @ ExPat Bride said...

I don't really know how to dance to old school hip hop! I had my coming of age in the UK, so I need techno beats to get moving! haha

Liz said...

Does it have to be old school? Grandmaster Flash. I danced to pretty much everything. How about some Naughty by Nature? 'OPP' or 'Hip Hop Hooray'. Sure! 'Juicy' by Biggie, naturally.
Personally, my all time favorite bust a move dance song is 'The Humpty Dance' by the Digital Underground. It has to be the greatest song of all time.

Sabrina said...

@Liz - I LOVE OPP.
Need some Nelly in there. Either Country Grammar or Must be the Money... I prefer the former :)
50 Cent - In Da Club
Destiny's Child - No, No, No or Survivor
Not quite so old school, but Kanye - Gold Digger.
And that Jamie Foxx song Blame It on the Alcohol... Every time I hear that I wish it came out back when I was still going out dancing :)

Dana said...

I agree that "old school" college songs are still the best, my iPod is full of 90's and early 2000's music. My favorite part of that Bourbon Street trip was getting marked "over." That was a big deal when you were 18!

Chef Heather said...

Thanks for this! Listening to these again really brings back GW memories! Especially "Can I Get A..."

Anonymous said...

definitely Biggie and what about Mase or Warren G? I remember all of them being big around the late 90's. Oh and Salt n Pepa of course!