Saturday 3 March 2012

No Heat Curls- Tried and Tested

You may or may not have heard of the no heat curls where you wrap your hair around a headband and sleep in it overnight to create curls. If you have you are probably thinking why the hell is she blogging about this that was ages ago and well you are partially right.  I've tried the no heat curls last year and failed on various levels ranging from minor to epic.

Then I saw Morgan from The 818 post about how much she was loving the no heat curls and I thought maybe I should give them a try again and well um yea fail again. I like to hear about other people's triumphs and failures when trying out these things so I give you my no heat curl fails.

#1 First Attempt Mini Fail (June 2011)

Slighty Curly Long Hair

This was actually my best attempt but I say fail because I had to put a bunch of scrunching mousse in to get it to look like this. Yes I'm serious- it took both the headband and products to achieve these less than impressive waves.

#2 Second Attempt EPIC Fail (June 2011)

SUPER curly hair

I can't believe I'm actually posting this because it was such a hot mess and I have no make-up on in the first two pictures and therefore am a hot mess myself. After reading around on the internet some more I tried spraying my hair with salt water as recommended for better results. I ended up with a pyramid of crazy clown curls--not a good look. We had to meet NBH's Grandma so after finger combing with wet hands and pinning some back I ended up with the look on the right.

#3 Third Attempt Straight Up Fail (March 2012)

Straight Blonde hair

Okay not the best picture but less curly that the first mini-fail and I've got no explanation other than I straightened my hair the day before so maybe that had some effect?

So what do you think? Do I give the not heat curls a fourth (okay actually fifth because on the attempt prior to that last one I wrapped my hair the wrong way but that doesn't count) try or just give up? Have y'all tried it with any success?

11 comments:

Melaina25 said...

I'm obsessed with the no-heat curls, but I've had to learn a few tricks along the way to make it work:
 - make sure hair is damp, not dry for headband curls and use a bit of curl creme or hairspray to help it hold (put in before you place headband)
 - place headband in a good spot on your head for curls to start - too high up and you'll look like a poodle - too low, and you'll have a flattop
 - even if the headband is small, you don't have to coil the hair tight around it - make looser loopes so that you get bigger waves and not curls

I do this all the time - check it out and let me know if you have any other questions!! It is definitely worth another try :) 

This is what day 1 looks like for me: http://workclothesisuppose.blogspot.com/2012/05/its-sunny-summer-like-day-in-seattle.html
And day 2: http://workclothesisuppose.blogspot.com/2012/05/its-second-sunny-warm-work-day-in-row.html

Melaina25 said...

try the sock donut no heat curl... my hair is just too short in a lot of the layers so it cant happen for me.. but it seems very reasonable.. im sure you can google for a tutorial on how to..

Melaina25 said...

Just use a curling iron lol.  It works every time!

Melaina25 said...

I have a curling wand which works but takes a long time and well you know as a Mom I don't always have tons of time to play with my hair :)

Melaina25 said...

Mousse was required to achieve look 1 :)

Melaina25 said...

Would mousse and a diffuser help! 

Melaina25 said...

I just scanned through the video tutorial. Perhaps you have different hair texture? Is your hair really straight?

I have wavy thick hair and it takes to curl no problem. But I've used a curling iron on friends with stick straight fine hair and it just didn't take.

PS. Cool tutorial. Thanks for sharing.

Melaina25 said...

As a curly head, or should that be frizzy head, please come up with a no heat stragntening solution please

Melaina25 said...

I would actually love to try this! It's funny with hair, sometimes it works so well for others. I think curly would be good when I am running around and that way I don't have to wash it so often...yes??

Melaina25 said...

My Mom used to wrap her hair around her head (using it like a roller) to straighten it if that is any use to you :)

Melaina25 said...

I just liked the idea of washing my hair the night before and then doing this and waking up with my hair styled and ready to go. Not so much.