Friday 23 March 2012

Top Tips

If you've never read magazines in the UK you probably don't know about top tips; basically readers write in with their best tips and tricks--except most of the time they feature maxi pads as slippers and are just hilarious. If you haven't checked out the Tumblr Life! Death! Top Tips! you should-- it is hilarious.

I'm going to share some of my own top tips but hopefully ones that are actually useful. These are all things I actually do and recommend to friends; I think they are common sense but whenever I tell friends they've not heard them before so here it goes:

Rinse your hair with cold water at the end of your shower. Someone once asked if I was trying to trick them with this tip but cold water smooths the cuticle down so your hair is less frizzy and shinier. Trust me it works. I just lean my head as far back as possible to get just my hair freezing but you can always just dunk your head in the sink too. I may or may have not done that at a hotel when the shower wouldn't get cold enough for my liking.




Vaseline is an great make-up remover. It is gentle on your skin, conditions lashes and takes off even the most stubborn liquid eye liner. It can be bog standard Vaseline or I've been known to use the lip therapy before as well. I don't advise using it while your contacts are in but if you are taking off your make-up chances are they are out already. In a pinch Blondie Boy's eczema ointment Epaderm works well, too.

I'm always shocked that there are people who wear mascara but don't own eyelash curlers. To me they are a mandatory part of my make-up bag; they gently curl your lashes which makes apply mascara easier and makes your eyes look larger and lashes longer.  Blondie Boy is particularly fond of using mine to do his "eyesies" (don't worry he just put it up to his eyes he doesn't actually properly use them). If you've never used one before get yourself to the Drugstore and buy one NOW.


If you are like me when you paint your nails just as much polish winds up on your skin as the nails. Give yourself a pedicure about an hour before you take a bath. After the bath any excess polish on your skin around your toes will peel off easily because the skin underneath is softened from the bath. Much quicker and easier than trying to paint them perfectly!


Do you have any tried and tested beauty tips that you swear by? If you have one that involves sanitary products I reserve the right to be totally disgusted :)

8 comments:

L said...

Very good, i cannot be bothered to curl my eyelashes though, i tried once but pinched my eyelid :|

Kara said...

These are great tips. I do the cold shower. I don't own eye lash curlers. I really must buy some but they terrify me.

Melaina25 said...

I'll have to try that cold water one

Melaina25 said...

A tiny brush (I use a gel nail brush but I know others use eyeliner brushes) and acetone for messy nail polish clean up.

Melaina25 said...

Slightly more professional than my approach ;)

Melaina25 said...

Great post!!  Thanks for the tips!!  Love me some Vaseline!  ;)

Melaina25 said...

I don't own a curler, but that is one thing God blessed me with was curly lashes.  Good thing because when I was younger I tried curling them and I hate having to put one near my eye, I am weird like that. Thanks for the great tips.

Melaina25 said...

~ Thanks for your wonderful post! I love all articles about lashes and eyelash growth as I have really straight thin lashes... I love sharing with others about great products.~ The best ever`` Lash growth I have ever found is the Hot Lashes nourishing eyelash treatment. Loved the reviews on Amazon and was impressed. I found this for only $39.99 less expensive than the others and works great after a few weeks of use.There is also a site of the same name Hot Lashes.com. I just use at night before I go to sleep. I also really just love love their Hot Lashes heated lash curler..the best I have found for lashes...HTH~