I love a warm, filling bowl of soup when it starts to get cold outside. Growing up in Cincinnati there was a restaurant called Funky's Cafe that was famous for it's potato soup. It was so famous that the local newspaper created a "healthy" version of it.
My sister tweeted about how she was making a bowl and I knew I had to make it! She kindly transcribed the recipe for me and I thought I'd share it with you. It is super easy and really filling. I forgot to take a picture but it basically looks like the picture above, but mine was slightly darker.
· 1 tbl margarine (Iused light butter spread)
· 2 cups diced onion (I would reduce this amount next time)
· 1/4 cup flour
· 3 cups chicken broth
· 1 can Healthy Request Cream of Chicken Soup
· 1 cup instant mashed potato flakes
· 1 1/4 cups milk (I used skimmed)
· 1/4 tsp salt
· 1/2 tsp basil · 1/2 cup cooked potatoes (just peel a baking potato ,cut it in fours, put in boiling water and cook until tender , poke potato with a fork when the fork goes in its done)
· bacon bits (I made my own by frying lardons in a pot until crispy)
· shredded cheese
In large saucepan over low heat melt margarine, saute onion stirring constantly until tender.
Add flour stirring well.
Gradually whisk in broth and soup, bring to a boil.
Add potato flakes, cook stirring 15-20 minutes.
Add milk and cook 10 min more DO NOT BOIL!
Add diced potatoes (cut those cooked chunks into little pieces)
Add salt and basil.
Sprinkle with bacon bits and cheese
Makes 6-8 servings.