Thursday 25 August 2011

How I accidentally (on purpose) was an extra in World War Z and was *this* close to Brad Pitt


If you knew me before I moved to Glasgow this story will come as no surprise to you. If you don't know me I'm not quite sure how to explain it but sometimes things just happen.  I don't set out to do something but find myself in a situation and just go for it if that makes sense. That's what happened to me today on George Square.

world war z glasgow brad pitt
world war z glasgow brad pitt
George Square is smack dab in the centre of Glasgow and has been taken over and turned into Philadelphia for filming of Brad Pitt's new zombie flick "World War Z." It's all any and everyone in Glasgow can talk about and I decided to take a look after I had a meeting in town today. Street lights were replaced with American traffic lights, familiar green interstate signs were put up and there were even American buses, taxes and hot dog carts. It was cool seeing a little bit of home in my new home and listening to little old ladies chat about what was going on as they took photos on their old school film cameras.




I heard lots of load bangs and saw extras running and well if I'm honest that was all you could see. I'd had my fill and since filming was diverting the buses around the Square I decided to try and get a train home. I walked down along one side and was told I had to wait to cross the street. Now I could have walked back and down another street, but I waited a few minutes and this is how I accidentally (on purpose) snuck onto the World War Z set.

I say accidentally because I honestly was just walking where security told me to go to get to my destination. I say on purpose because once I realized I'd made it behind the barriers I didn't turn around and walk away. I ended up in a crowd of extras and told the two guys next to me I wasn't an extra but maybe I'd stick around. They gave me a once over for any "labels" and then pushed me ahead of them to get in the shot. 


world war z glasgow brad pitt
I ran down George Street with maybe another fifty extras several times. We'd run and go back, run and go back. These extras were REALLY taking it seriously; I got pushed and shoved and fake American cops guided us away from what I can only guess were zombies that will be added in later. IT WAS AWESOME.


I'm not going to lie here; I submitted an application to the casting company to be an extra. I even got an email back asking me to come down for the casting, but we were in France. I was gutted. I'd only had the opportunity to audition to be an extra once before for Milk Money when I was 13; I also was out of town for those auditions. So that I randomly found myself as an extra for thirty minutes was pretty freaking cool.

world war z glasgow brad pitt
When we were running I noticed there was a car off to the side with what I thought was Brad Pitt's stunt double in it. As the wranglers yelled for everyone to move onto George Square I hung back to try and make my escape and then it happened. The car door opened and real life, honest to goodness, sexiest man alive himself BRAD PITT stepped out of the car. He looked smaller than I imagined and his nose looked really delicate. Don't ask me why I noticed his nose but it was definitely more refined than rugged. He looked hot, but also a bit old. I hate saying that but he definitely had crinkled eyes. Brad Pitt was close enough for me to lunge over and hug him before being dragged off to jail. I knew what I had to do.


I needed to head home anyway so I had nothing to lose and I took out my iPhone and snapped a picture. Quicker than you can say "3G iPhone cameras suck" a producer-type said to me "When you're an extra you're not supposed to do that."  I mumbled back "well it's good I'm not an extra then" and wandered away up the street where I asked if they'd let me walk up to get my bus.  My thirty minutes of fame were over.

world war z glasgow brad pitt

So you see I didn't try to crash a movie set but I did. There is every chance you might see a blonde girl with a grey sweater dress, black leggings, black boots and a purple bag running to escape zombies as Brad Pitt does who knows what in a car. You could scoff at me and say I messed up shooting, but really all I did was have a fucking awesome thirty minutes where I wasn't a Mom. I got to be the risk-taking, fun loving girl I was back in the day and it was AWESOME. I doubt I messed up their shots and there will be at least one more person going to see the film now that wasn't before to try and see if I spy my fat ass running away from invisible zombies.

42 comments:

Unknown said...

Sounds like brilliant fun, I'm jealous :)

Lil'Misa said...

Now thats pretty awesome!!

Melaina25 said...

Hahaha. That was a fun read. I do love Mr. Pitt and wouldn't mind running into him. I'm officially jealous.

Melaina25 said...

Fantastic boost for the economy of Glasgow. £2m according to some reports, although I also note some local businesses on George Square were unhappy due to the lack of genuine customers visiting their stores and an increase in people using certain shops as an excuse to sneak past security.

Melaina25 said...

This.  Is.  Brilliant.

I'm very doubtful that is really Brad Pitt though.  I need a lock of his hair or a swab of his DNA or something just to be sure.

But I have a question.  Why are they filming a film that is set in Philly, in Scotland?  Why don't they just film it in Philly?

And let me know if you get on the film - we'll adapt the Wikipedia page to add this information in because you'll be creditless otherwise.

Melaina25 said...

Yes it was really Brad Pitt-- I swear on Blondie Boy. Glasgow's architecture is apparently quite similar to Philly's and I'm guessing much cheaper :)

Melaina25 said...

i want your life. holy crap. the sexiest man alive, brad pitt... gahhhhhh i woulda tackled him hahaah

Melaina25 said...

definitely want to see the movie now! sounds like you had a blast with your walk to the train!

Melaina25 said...

I have never been more jealous of a person than I am right now.

Melaina25 said...

Brilliant! Good for you. Can't wait to see the film with the amazing extras now :-)

Melaina25 said...

Well done! Life is far too short to not try things. And I love that you were successful. Looking forward to hearing about your next adventure !!! Liz W aka @ukbabyshows:twitter 

Melaina25 said...

Yay! this made me smile.... alot! Well done you on rolling with it...I would have freaked for sure! @gidders1

Melaina25 said...

That is so awesome.  I'm majorly jealous. No movie stars EVER come to London! ;)  (well, not to my 'hood anyway :)

Melaina25 said...

wow how cool. Way to go you and I'll be looking out for you xx

Melaina25 said...

Oh get you, I have to say Mr Pitt is not one of my fav's at all

Melaina25 said...

accidentally stumbled across this blog of yours just because i was considering joining twitter. very funny to read, you are a good writer!! you should have a little news column, sex and the city style :)

Melaina25 said...

Great adventure! I would have done the same if I was in your situation. Shame no one comes to Bristol. lol

Melaina25 said...

This is brilliant! I was thinking of coming through for the day to hang around like a saddo but I don't think my wee boy would be very impressed!

Melaina25 said...

Awesome! I know I will drug along to see this movie when it comes out her, now I can look for you running down the street!

Melaina25 said...

You're nuts you are, you know that, don't you??  Hope you make it up onto the big screen, and now I am just going to HAVE to watch it to see if I they have you running in slow motion.  

Melaina25 said...

I salute you!

Melaina25 said...

go you! sounds quite an experience . . . 

Melaina25 said...

haha brilliant !!

Melaina25 said...

Hi there, i was one of the actors in one of the uniforms, can`t say who though, would like to say i thought your story was so funny, If it is the woman i think you are i heard on someones radio about a woman who needed through, they looked for her and could not find her lol

Melaina25 said...

Umm yes that was me. I got to the top of Cathedral street and security said I'd caused a bit of a kerfuffle over the radios :) Thank you!
Sent from my iPad

Melaina25 said...

LOVE IT! and yes, I would totally do this! I walked on the set of a movie on LA and because I looked okay to be an extra I could have stayed but Bryan wasn't having it! And who doesn't love a bit of Brad...I wouldn't say no ;)

Melaina25 said...

It definitely was!

Melaina25 said...

Me running in slow motion would be scarier than any zombie!

Melaina25 said...

Oh come on!! Movie stars are ALWAYS in London, lol.

Melaina25 said...

I had a crush on Brad Pitt at 15 around Legends of the Fall but that was it really. Although he was pretty hot in the Ocean's movies.

Melaina25 said...

Salute right back atcha :)

Melaina25 said...

What's up with husbands? NotBlondeHusband wasn't even vaguely impressed or excited when I came home :(

Melaina25 said...

It wasn't planned but it was a lot of fun!

Melaina25 said...

We will have to get up to some shenanigans when I'm home in October :)

Melaina25 said...

Awww you are too kind! Are you sure you're not just my Mom using a fake name? I wanted to be Carrie Bradshaw in another life. Did you join twitter?

Melaina25 said...

Glad it made someone else other than me smile :)

Melaina25 said...

There were lots of extras dressed up like SWAT team and army people so maybe he would?

Melaina25 said...

This is only the 2nd movie I know of ever being filmed in Glasgow (I'm sure there are more). The other one I know of because NBH jumped in to stop a wee guy getting beat up and someone yelled "CUT!" It was a movie set :)

Melaina25 said...

very jealous - good for you!

Melaina25 said...

Thank you :)

Melaina25 said...

Ha, crashing a movie set sounds like great fun! :-)

Melaina25 said...

It was totally unintentional but a lot of fun :)