Wednesday 3 September 2014

What I Wore Wednesday: Maternity Nightwear

So given I have a c-section scheduled in less than four weeks I figured I should try and get a move on getting a hospital bag packed. When I was pregnant with Blondie Boy I bought new PJs for the hospital as well as a night gown for labour, neither of which got used. The nightgown was fleece and I had it on all of 2 seconds before I was too hot and the PJs irritated my c-section incision so they were a no go, too.

So this time I still want special new pyjamas but I know to get something that's breathable and won't bug my incision (not to mention the fact post surgery I'll have a catheter so pants aren't really an option anyway). I can't really get around very well because of my SPD so I've been doing most of my shopping and searching online (mostly just places that allow me to return in store) and to be honest the nightwear options out there SUCK.

First I looked at maternity specific nightwear and umm WTF. I'm of the opinion that no grown ass woman in her right mind would ever want to wear anything with Winnie the Pooh on it but apparently the maternity retailers of the UK would beg to differ. If the maternity options don't have a cartoon character on them they have spaghetti straps and as a busty gal that isn't going to be an attractive look.

So I decided to try regular sized PJs but in sizes larger than I normally wear. I struck gold and fell in love with was a white waffles night shirt from New Look:



First off waffles are amazing, fact. Secondly it reminds me of Leslie Knope and anything that reminds me of Leslie Knope is awesome. I ordered the biggest size they had (UK18) but while it is loose in the body it is REALLY short; there is no way I could wear it around a hospital ward without wondering if my cheeks were hanging out. So now I'm back to square one and considering the following options.




I feel like this is the slightly nicer version of stealing my Dad's XXL shirts to sleep in. It looks long on the model and I feel like I could wear it without a bra and not look awful.



I love Tie Dye and upon further inspection this probably isn't tie dye but it looks sort of similar to tie-dye so I like it. It also goes up to a UK size 20 so I should be able to get it large enough but I can't tell how thin the material is.



Nordstroms has some cute options but I'd have to get them shipped to my Mom's and then hope that they fit (and that baby stays put until she gets here). It's not the best option since I had issues with length in the first nightshirt I tried.

Where is your go-to place for comfy and cute (but not saccharine) PJs? What would you do?






Let's be friends! Find me here:

49 comments:

Melaina25 said...

I like the Nordstrom nightshirts for sure!

Melaina25 said...

the waffle shirt is pretty darn fantastic! Love it!
xo/riva
www.rivaladiva.com

Melaina25 said...

I don't normally wear nightshirts as I tend to buy those matching pj sets but if I were to choose, I'd go with the Nordstrom ones! Hope tht helps! :)

Uris

Melaina25 said...

flannel nightshirts are the best

Melaina25 said...

I love the Nordstrom nightshirts.

Melaina25 said...

I love the flannel and the "waffle" gowns! So cute!

Melaina25 said...

I love the Nordstrom night shirts....understated sexiness!!!


Rebecca
www.redtagchiclosangeles.com

Melaina25 said...

Winnie the Pooh?!?!? HAHAHAH. I'm dying. And I'm having flashbacks. I never even got out of the provided hospital gown because they couldn't take out my epidural for days (fun). I did, however, have a Miss Elaine nightgown (like the one grandma's wear and it was SOOOO comfortable (I got it one size bigger).

Melaina25 said...

I can't believe you are almost due...it seems like yesterday you just announced you were preggos. I love that flannel shirt, I would wear it out as a tunic with leggings and cute boots.


Alice
www.happinessatmidlife.com

Melaina25 said...

I'm not any help with PJs sorry! I just stopped in big W and picked myself up a nice flannel set to keep me cosy, the aircon in hospital was so cold! Hope you find something!

Away From The Blue

Melaina25 said...

So many cute options. Love the first tee & the flannel shirt! I too never got out of the provided hospital nightgown due to some issues so never had a chance to wear the cute pj's I brought with me, lol.
Marta, xo
www.sweatersstripesandsweets.com

Melaina25 said...

Love the red flannel shirt nightdress.. you could wear even it with skinny jeans and boots hahaha
Thanks for hosting!
x Nina

PS. Have you entered my TrendSurvivor X Storm in a D cup $200 Gift Card GiveAway yet?

Melaina25 said...

Cute picks! My favorite is the waffle tee and the flannel shirt!


Jill
dousedinpink.blogspot.com

Melaina25 said...

Love the waffle night gown! Very cute!
Have you looked at ASOS? I usually get my pjs from Primark but I guess that's not much use if you aren't able to get to the high street. Good luck with your search! And I'm very happy I have stumbled across your lovely blog! x

Melaina25 said...

Hahahaa, love the saying on the first one. I too love waffles, pregnant or not. I also love all the Nordstrom options. Best of luck to you with the delivery. Almost there. =)

Melaina25 said...

I want all of these! The first is too funny.

xo, Amy Ann
The Real Arnolds

Melaina25 said...

I would like to change the waffles shirt to pancakes. Haha.

Melaina25 said...

Cute

Melaina25 said...

Like the first white one and the Nordstrom selection is pretty cute!
Nora
www.jacketsociety.com

Melaina25 said...

I love the waffle one!! VS has great nightshirts and Target is a good option too!

Melaina25 said...

I love the flannel nightgown. It looks very cozy:) The waffles one is too cute:)

Melaina25 said...

What a fashion conundrum! You've got great ideas for issues I'd never have thought about. I love the flannel nightshirt. I'm actually in the market for new sleepwear too. Cute and warm. That's tough!

Melaina25 said...

I really love the Bamboo Birthing Shirts from The Birthing Shirt Company: http://www.thebirthingshirtcompany.com/ They are super comfy and I've worn them for the last 3 years as night time pj's even though I wasn't pregnant. They're just so soft. You should take a nosey. I have a planned c-section coming in January and this is what I'll be wearing :) x

Melaina25 said...

They are cute right? Just a big gamble since I can't return them!

Melaina25 said...

I do love it but it's so short!

Melaina25 said...

Unfortunately PJ pants/shorts won't work with a c-section scar or catheter.

Melaina25 said...

You know I don't think I own any!

Melaina25 said...

They are cute right? Just a big gamble since I can't return them!

Melaina25 said...

I wish the waffle shirt was longer!

Melaina25 said...

They are cute right? Just a big gamble since I can't return them!

Melaina25 said...

I can't deal with Pooh Bear on stuff for my kid let alone me! I totally have two night gowns that were my Grandma's (I wore them when I stayed with her when my Grandpa died and I'd forgotten to pack PJs) but they are so not ok to be worn in public!

Melaina25 said...

I did leave it pretty late to announce :)

Melaina25 said...

See if I could run into town I'd do that but I'm just really not great at getting around at the moment.

Melaina25 said...

I know I will be in the hospital for at least 2-3 days so just want to have options.

Melaina25 said...

Multi-purpose outfit :)

Melaina25 said...

I wish the waffle one was longer!

Melaina25 said...

I did look at ASOS but I just worry if stuff doesn't fit---everything looks really short on the models! I got my PJs from Primark last time but it's just the getting there that is an issue for me.

Melaina25 said...

They are cute right? Just a big gamble since I can't return them!

Melaina25 said...

I wish it was longer!

Melaina25 said...

To be honest I love pancakes more than waffles but I love Leslie Knope and she loves waffles :)

Melaina25 said...

They are cute right? Just a big gamble since I can't return them!

Melaina25 said...

Victoria's Secret and Target don't exist in Scotland :)

Melaina25 said...

Thanks!

Melaina25 said...

I'm probably overthinking PJs too much and forgetting other stuff!

Melaina25 said...

Will take a look! Just got a Hot Milk nightgown in the post from Made for Mums today, too.

Melaina25 said...

I adore the red plaid flannel shirt! I would never take it off. And the one with the waffles is awesome as well!

Melaina25 said...

thats true... I was just thinking if you ordered online, but I'm sure shipping would be outrageous. Sorry I was no help :(

Melaina25 said...

Ooooo Hot Milk, very nice :) Yeah take a look, they're honestly so comfy.

Melaina25 said...

Ooh! Not long now till the big event! Good luck with it all- and thanks for hosting!