Thursday 9 April 2009

Give me a Leonard Cohen afterworld, so I can sigh eternally

Was it really 15 years ago that Kurt Cobain died? I can remember sitting on my Mom's bed and my best friend Dana calling me and telling me to turn on MTV. I had a cove of Rolling Stone with his picture on it on my ceiling about my bed. It seemed so sad and such a waste; it still does.

I'm still not entirely convinced he killed himself; I saw part of a documentary once about how a hit was put out on him. Every time the film maker got to a person for information that person suddenly died; certainly made it more plausible to me that it wasn't suicide.

What would music be like today if he hadn't died? Would Nirvana had stayed together or would Foo Fighters have happened eventually anyway? Either way I still love Nirvana to this day and "grunge rock" is still probably one of my favorite genres of music. It's so cathartic singing along. If I want to sleep on a plane I have one album that I will put on repeat and play on my I-pod over and over and that's Nirvana Unplugged.
I'm not even going to touch on the insanity that is Courtney Love. I used to vaguely like Hole, but wow she's got some issues. Poor Frances Bean. I feel old today.

1 comment:

Dana said...

That makes me feel old too. Do you know he was only 27 when he died? So sad...