Tuesday 4 August 2009

19 weeks

Vernix caseosa, a greasy white substance made of lanugo, oil and dead skin cells (yum) now coats baby's skin, shielding it from the amniotic fluid. (Picture yourself after a nine-month bath, and the need for protection makes sense.)


Your baby's sensory development is exploding! Their brain is designating specialized areas for smell, taste, hearing, vision, and touch. Some research suggests that they may be able to hear your voice now, so don't be shy about reading aloud, talking to them, or singing a happy tune if the mood strikes you.

Your baby weighs about 8 1/2 ounces and measures 6 inches, head to bottom — about the size of a large heirloom tomato. Their arms and legs are in the right proportions to each other and the rest of their body now. Their kidneys continue to make urine and the hair on their scalp is sprouting. A waxy protective coating called the vernix caseosa is forming on her skin to prevent it from pickling in the amniotic fluid.


*How far along?: 19 weeks
*Total weight gain: Haven't weighed myself since last week
*How big is baby?: mango, mmm I had some in a smoothie this am
*Maternity clothes?: jeans all the time, tops sometimes; wearing a top my mom got me today
*Sleep?: I think it's time for one of those special pillows as I keep waking up with a dead arm that's been under my side/stomach
*Best moment this week?: Introducing the baby to Cincinnati style chili, mmm
*Movement?: Not very much lately
*Food cravings?: Sweet stuff
*Labor signs?: Nope
*Belly button in or out?: In; ordered a PTFE belly bar today
*What I miss: Energy
*What I'm looking forward to: Celebrating our 1st anniversary with dinner/bed/breakfast at the Millennium (where we had Scottish reception) on Saturday
*Milestone: I can see my bump even through over sized t-shirts

Information from BabyCentre and The Bump.

3 comments:

Vanessa said...

You look wonderful! This is so exciting. I felt my best where you are right now. Enjoy every minute!

Liz said...

I can't help but think the baby must be uncomfortable with it's leg wrapped around it's head, but then I remembered it's a baby and they are used to being in weird positions. You, on the other hand, look lovely, as always!

Unknown said...

perhaps there hasn't been much movement this week because the bebe was stunned by the awesomeness that is skyline chili. :)