Wednesday 26 May 2010

My Bare Knees Boy

Kilts have been around since the 16th century and today are the traditional formal attire for Scottish men. NotBlondeHusband wore a kilt at our wedding and I usually talk him into wearing a kilt to most weddings we attend, because I think he looks really handsome in one.


Blondie Boy was invited to two weddings this month and I knew straight away I wanted him to wear a kilt. I started looking but they were either really poorly made or really expensive and I was getting frustrated until I found Bare Knees.


Libby, the kiltmaker and owner of Bare Knees was a solicitor but after having two wee boys, works from home making and selling custom made kilts. She originally started out intending to make adult kilts (and still does), but has found the demand is much higher for baby and toddler kilts.


Baby kilts are attached to a short sleeved onesie/vest and wraps around just like an adult kilt, but attaches with poppers rather than buckles. The kilts are made from proper tartan fabric (not printed cotton like some cheap baby velcro kilts) and are pleated perfectly in the back. Bareknees also makes makes and hires out toddler kilt packages.



Blondie Boy wore his kilt to a wedding in Edinburgh last Saturday and I can not tell you how many guests came up, commented on how cute he looked and asked where we got it. I loved seeing both my boys looking so handsome together in kilts.

My only critique would be that it would be nice if somehow the onesie could detach (it's sewn on to the back of the kilt) and be washed, but I'm no seamstress so I have no idea if such a thing is possible. Blondie Boy managed to have a bottle without spilling all over it, but I as babies tend to be messy, I think we got lucky. I plan on very carefully handwashing just the onesie (keeping the kilt out of the sink) if it starts to look a bit dirty.

I can't wait for him to wear it again this weekend! If you are in the market for a baby or child's kilt contact Libby at Bare Knees; most tartans are available and she even does a buy-back scheme so when your baby has outgrown their kilt, you can still keep them looking stylish! I can't recommend her enough!
Transatlantic Blonde received this product to review.

8 comments:

Lorry said...

That is one of the cutest things I have ever seen! :D

Gwen said...

He's such a cutie. I love the kilt. Every little boy should have one

Anne said...

Awww he looks adorable, I love it!!

andrea said...

So, so cute! He is a doll!

Anonymous said...

Awww I love a kilt too! Both your boys look very handsome in their kilts! My family on my mothers side is from Scotland so my uncles don their kilts for special occassions too! Love the kilt attached to the onesie! What a fab idea!

MsHark said...

Awww both your boys are so cute in their kilts!! you guys are one great looking family!!

steph

Emily said...

I love the traditional outfits like that... now you just need a trip to Germany for some lederhosen, although I think dealing with diapers and kilts is a tad easier.

Dana said...

That is so cute! I love seeing his little chubby baby knees in a kilt! My mom might be able to check out the onesie attachment for you if you bring it to Cincy.