Tuesday 5 November 2013

What I Wore Wednesday: Homemade Robot Costume

Things have been so busy between work, launching Lassies Who Lunch and getting ready for Halloween that I totally spaced on What I Wore Wednesday last week---oops! I did get a post up about our amazing trip to France, including vlogs from the cutest little vlogger ever--Blondie Boy! I love Halloween and this was the first time in two years we were home in Scotland and not in the USA.

I'm not a fan of the Pinterest inspired competition to be the best Mom ever but personally I think that birthday cakes and Halloween costumes should always be home made. Nothing I make is ever going to look professional but I don't care. Unless there are circumstances beyond my control Blondie Boy is always getting a home made costume

This year he decided he wanted to be a dancing robot. So I bought some chrome effect spray paint, diamanté, buttons, sparkly leggings and flexible silver ducting and went to town. We already had some rain boots that a friend had given us as hand-me-downs so those got spray-painted, too. I finished it off with some white hairspray (couldn't find silver) and some loose silver make-up glitter and CR3 The Dancing Robot was born!


Robot Costume

He also requested robot fingernails so who am I to say no when I own holographic silver polish already :) I think his costume came out really cute and he definitely stood out from the other kids. All of my costumes growing up were home made so I'm glad to carry on the tradition.

For work that day I had on cat ears and some drawn on whiskers (only my team dressed up at work and there were no full-on costumes) but I wanted something a bit more fun for trick or treating with Blondie Boy. Normally I try to match my costume to his but after getting him ready I only had ten minutes to sort myself. So I decided to take a risk and made myself a Dia de Los Muertos sugar skull type look.
Sugar Skull Makeup

The gems were a bit big and it wasn't as elaborate or colourful as I would have liked but not bad for ten minutes! It kind of makes me want to go to the tanning bed though as I definitely don't suit being super pale. We had a fun time visiting houses but it definitely is not the same as being home in Ohio.

I much prefer specified trick or treating times and knowing that if a light is on you know that it is okay to knock. Here I was hesitant to take BB up to a door unless they had a pumpkin out or I'd seen bigger kids go up already. That being said Halloween is much bigger than it was when I first moved here. Hopefully next year though we can be back in Ohio!


Did you dress up for Halloween?




Let's be friends! Find me here:

44 comments:

Melaina25 said...

Cute Robot costume! Thanks for hosting this link up!

Melaina25 said...

Oh my gosh - your Halloween makeup is AWESOME!!!!!! You did an amazing job, it would have taken me much longer than ten minutes!! :)

Lauren xx

Melaina25 said...

His costume is EPIC! I'm so impressed (and kind of want to use that idea next year for myself :) And your makeup? For 10 minutes it's fabulous! I just love it! Happy (belated) Halloween!!
xo
Kym
bitty.and.bunny

Melaina25 said...

Oh wow, I can't decide which one I am more impressed with - Blondie Boy's fantastic costume, or the fact that you did that makeup in just 10 minutes! Go you! I made it home for the tail end of Halloween post-work, but last time she needed a costume I was right there with the DIY too! Xx

Melaina25 said...

Awesome x

Melaina25 said...

Lil Mr Robot is adorable!!! So cute :)

Melaina25 said...

Haha I love your halloween makeup! You did a great job!
~Callie
www.creationsbycallie.com

Melaina25 said...

I LOVE the robot costume, and your sugar skull makeup looks awesome! I was on a plane to Cincinnati on Halloween, actually, so I didn't wear a full-on costume, but I did wear some leopard-print cat ears and a leopard-print sweatshirt. I love Halloween, and homemade costumes are definitely the best!

Melaina25 said...

Great costume for both of you!! I wished I had an ounce of imagination so I can make a costume for my son too.


Alice
www.happinessatmidlife.com

Melaina25 said...

Cutest. Robot. Ever. OMG!!

Amy @ http://www.thegiftedgabber.com/

Melaina25 said...

Oh wow you both look amazing!

Melaina25 said...

Great Halloween pics and thank you for inviting me another week.
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

Melaina25 said...

That is the cutest robot outfit!

Melaina25 said...

What a cutie! That costume is so adorable.

Melaina25 said...

Great outfit! Love your make-up, amazing for 10mins!

Melaina25 said...

Aww, such a cute robot costume! :)

Away From The Blue

Melaina25 said...

Your make-up is amazing! Never would have guessed it was done in 10 mins! I love BB's costume too, we always had homemade costumes growing up and I loved them :)

Melaina25 said...

Love this robot costume! :)

xo

Deanne Castro
http://myfashavenue.com

Melaina25 said...

Popping by your fun linkup .....those Halloween costumes are sooooo cool!!!


Rebecca
www.redtagchiclosangeles.com

Melaina25 said...

so cute! love the costumes. thanks for hosting!
~Ellen
www.everydayfancy.com

Melaina25 said...

I never dress up for Halloween and this is the first year I wish I had. Love the face paint---I'm definitely feeling inspired for next year!

Melaina25 said...

Couldn't resist the linkup, esp. for late Halloween entries. Thank you for hosting Melaina ~

Robot and sugar skull hit it out of the park!

Melaina25 said...

Ahh wow I love your little mans halloween costume and your makeup is amazing!! Sounds like you had a great night

Laura x

Melaina25 said...

I think his costume turned out great! And that's an impressive make-up job for only having 10 minutes.

Melaina25 said...

You out did yourself with this costume.


Sofia


stylishlyinlove.blogspot.com

Melaina25 said...

Amazing robot costume! I didn't get dressed up this year but my son was the cutest little owl :)

Melaina25 said...

Thank you! Aww I bet he was a super cute owl!

Melaina25 said...

Thanks Tami!

Melaina25 said...

Halloween is my favourite! You should dress up next year :)

Melaina25 said...

I had home-made costumes too--love the tradition :)

Melaina25 said...

Thanks Mica!

Melaina25 said...

Thanks Tara :)

Melaina25 said...

Thanks Livi!

Melaina25 said...

Thank you Lauren! I'm happy how it turned out :)

Melaina25 said...

:) thank you!

Melaina25 said...

Dude Pinterest is the best for inspiration :)

Melaina25 said...

What were you doing in Cincinnati?

Melaina25 said...

Thanks Callie!

Melaina25 said...

The wellie boots were ones that you gave us :)

Melaina25 said...

Thanks Zaz!

Melaina25 said...

Do it! Seriously chrome-effect spray paint is the best ever. I might need silver wellie boots for me :)

Melaina25 said...

We stayed at my husband's mom's house in Ft. Thomas for a night before heading down to Danville for his homecoming at Centre.

Melaina25 said...

Aww cool! My youngest step-sister went to Centre :)

Melaina25 said...

So cute! This year I made myself a Bambi costume.

♥Emma, of It's Emma Elise